- ActiveState Komodo Edit
- Bluefish – Supports any protocol that is supported by GnomeVFS. (SSH…)
- Eclipse – PHPEclipse and PHP Development Tools projects. With additional plugins supports SVN, CVS, Database modelling, SSH/FTP access, Database Navigation, Trac integration, and others.
- Emacs – Advanced text editor. The nXhtml addon has special support for PHP (and other template languages).
- Geany – Syntax highlighting for HTML + PHP. Provides PHP function list.
- jEdit – Versatile Free/Open source editor. Supports SFTP and FTP.
- Netbeans IDE – A dedicated PHP coding environment and complete integration with web standards. Supports SFTP and FTP.
- Vim – provides PHP syntax highlighting.
- SciTE – fast, PHP syntax highlighting, compiler integration, powerful config via Lua API:LUA
- Alleycode HTML Editor — Freeware editor with syntax highlighting for both php and html.
- ConTEXT — Freeware editor with syntax highlighting.
- CodeIgniter — Its goal is to enable [developers] to develop projects much faster than…writing code from scratch, by providing a rich set of libraries for commonly needed tasks, as well as a simple interface and logical structure to access these libraries.
- Crimson Editor — Lightweight editor. Supports FTP.
- Dev-PHP IDE
- HTML-Kit — Syntax highlighting, Supports FTP.
- Intype — Lightweight editor. Alpha version.
- Notepad++ — Supports FTP; syntax highlighting.
- PHPEdit — Free for student use, shareware, counts down from 30 days after install.
- Programmer’s Notepad
- PSPad — Supports FTP.
- Joe’s Own Editor
- Kate – Supports any protocol that is supported by KDE. (FTP, SSH…)
- KDevelop – Supports any protocol that is supported by KDE. (FTP, SSH…)
- Quanta Plus – Supports any protocol that is supported by KDE. (FTP, SSH…)
Mac OS X
- Adobe Dreamweaver – Supports SFTP and FTP
- Code Crusader IDE – Trial available
- Delphi for PHP
- EditPlus – Supports SFTP and FTP; Trial available
- JetBrains PhpStorm – professional PHP IDE with advanced editor, on-the-fly code analysis and other web development specific tools including FTP/SFTP syncronization.
- Microsoft Expression Web – Full PHP support with syntax highlighting, etc; Trial available
- PHPEdit – Supports SFTP and FTP
- phpDesigner – Supports SFTP and FTP, syntax highlighting for many programming languages; Trial available
- TextMate – Trial available
- TextPad – Trial available
- Top PHP Studio – Supports FTP
- UltraEdit – Supports SFTP and FTP; Trial Available
- VS.Php for Visual Studio – PHP IDE for Visual Studio 2005, 2008 and 2010. Full intellisense and debugging support for native PHP applications.
- Zend Studio – Supports SFTP and FTP (Eclipse with Zend’s Commercial Plug-in)
- PHPEd – Supports FTP, SFTP and WebDav